The parts of the mask excluding headgear should be hand washed daily using warm water and a mild soap. Rinse the parts completely and allow to air dry out of direct sunlight. The headgear should be hand washed weekly in the same manner.
Where Do I Find The Size?
There are two sized parts to the DreamWear CPAP Mask: the frame and cushion. The frame size indicator is at the top of the frame just behind the mask elbow connection. The frame comes in one of three sizes: small, medium, and large. The other sized part is the cushion, which is available in four sizes: small, medium, medium wide, and large. The cushion size is located on the front of the cushion in black lettering next to the arrow indicating the direction to connect the cushion to the frame.
How To Determine the Correct Frame Size?
The frame size is equivalent to the distance around the head from one side of the nose to the other. Follow these steps to determine the appropriate frame size:
Begin by placing the measuring tape marker at the base of the nose on one side. Use the tape to follow along the side of the cheek and upward over the top of the head. Keep pulling the tape measure around the face, down the other cheek, and to the base of the nose on the opposite side.
Use this measurement to most closely match one of the frame sizes listed below:
- Small Frame - 19 Inches
- Medium Frame - 20 Inches
- Large Frame - 22 Inches
System One Resistance Control Tips
If using a Respironics System One machine, a system one resistance control number from Respironics can be set to allow the machine to compensate for different mask types. The resistance control number for the DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask is X1. Please Note: System One Resistance Control is for System One Machinesonly.
DreamWear Exhalation Ports
The DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask has two exhalation ports built into the device. Air is released through tiny holes located on the elbow of the DreamWear mask, which is placed at the top of the head. A second exhalation port is found on the cushion of the nasal mask. A small rectangular slit found on the front exterior of the DreamWear cushion allows air to release from the nostrils.
Elbow Connection to the Mask
The DreamWear elbow is inserted into the circular opening at the top of the DreamWear mask. The flexible mask frame material allows the user to place pressure on the frame as the lip of the elbow is placed inside the opening. The elbow connection should be completely enclosed within the opening, leaving only the outer rim visible.
The DreamWear Nasal Mask uses a quick-release swivel to allow users to easily and rapidly remove the mask from the hose when needed. To ensure the mask elbow and swivel are firmly attached for use throughout the night, listen for a clicking sound when installing.
Please Note: It is helpful to give the CPAP hose some slack to create a small range of motion which will help reduce tug on the mask and maintain the unique design of the DreamWear mask.
Assembly & Disassembly Tips
- Press the mask elbow into the frame until it is completely enclosed in the frame connection.
- To connect the cushion, line up the arrow on the front with the arrow on the frame and push the two together until they are clicked into place, then repeat for the opposite side. Ensure the arrow on the cushion matches the arrow on the frame, as the cushion will not function as intended if not properly connected to the frame.
- The headgear should be looped through the slots in the frame and fastened to desired tightness. The headgear should be attached so that both the Philips Respironics and DreamWear logos face outward.
- The cushion can be removed by pulling the ends away from the frame.
- Similarly, the mask elbow can be removed by simply pulling it out of the frame.
- The headgear is removed by releasing the hook and loop fasteners and then removing it from the headgear slots of the frame.
- If the frame wraps are installed, they can be removed by releasing the hook and loop fasteners.
Tips to Reduce Tugging on the CPAP Mask and Hose
If active sleep has resulted in the DreamWear elbow disconnecting from the swivel, it may be beneficial to use a hose clip or hose lift system to stabilize the device above the head. The Hose Comfort section introduces a variety of devices designed to prevent the CPAP tube from pulling on the mask.
When selecting a hose lift system, refer to the instructions found on the product pages. If a bedding clip is the best option, follow the directions listed below:
- Wrap the hook and loop strap around the circumference of the CPAP hose.
- Once the diameter of the hose is covered, feed the strap through the opening in the fabric, and gently pull the strap to ensure the material is firm around the hose.
- Release the end of the strap, allowing it to adhere to the hook and loop material surrounding the hose. Then, attach the metal clip to the pillow or linens in order to secure the tube.